Papa & Barkley of California is an award-winning producer of high-quality cannabis-infused wellness products, most recently recognized in the Best Topicals category at the 2017 High Times SoCal Cannabis Cup. The company also produces and sells cannabis extracts and oils under its P&B Labs line.
Papa & Barkley’s dynamic and driven leadership team has deep operational and technical market expertise in cannabis production, extraction methodologies and product development. Our culture reflects the emphasis we place on operating as a team. We have a strong vision with a focus on the science, and a shared belief in the power of the plant across multiple extraction modalities and delivery systems. As a fully-licensed cannabis company we are scaling our model and becoming a leader in the emerging California Cannabis market.
Papa & Barkley is a privately-held consumer products company seeking an experienced and self-directed Procurement Manager to be responsible for the sourcing of equipment, goods and services and the management of vendors and suppliers across the organization.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in procurement in a manufacturing environment and will have the flexibility to be effective in both the strategic and tactical aspects of purchasing. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated the ability to effectively source and negotiate favorable terms from both domestic and import suppliers, will be drawn to the fluidity and pace of a high-growth organization, and will have a passion for the cannabis industry.
The Purchasing Manager will report to the Chief Operations Officer and will be based in Papa & Barkley’s offices in the Atwater Village neighborhood of Los Angeles. The position will require significant travel including a presence at the P&B Labs manufacturing facility in Eureka, CA, occasional travel to operations in Denver, and site visits to suppliers and vendors.
- Develop and execute procurement strategies, criteria, and processes across all channels.
- Directly manage purchasing and engage in the complete RFI / RFQ process for non-cannabis goods and services; collaborate with the Production team to establish criteria and an approved vendor list for cannabis procurement.
- Vet and select vendors who can satisfy budgetary constraints, meet the company’s rigorous internal standards, and comply with commercial cannabis regulatory requirements.
- Continually monitor company spend against budget, aggregating and negotiating volume buys when possible.
- Work cross-functionally and proactively to manage material lead times, equipment capacity, inventory thresholds, and quality control measures to meet forecasted sales and production needs.
- Visit suppliers to establish and maintain relationships while ensuring adherence to standards.
- Negotiate contracts with favorable price, delivery, service and credit terms and continuously seek opportunities to optimize in these areas.
- Stay ahead of fluctuations in market conditions and emerging trends that affect price, demand and availability of goods and services.
- 5+ years of experience in Purchasing / Supply Chain in manufacturing or consumer packaged goods
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Sophisticated negotiation and relationship-building skills
- Preference given to candidates with import experience, particularly with China-based suppliers.
Job Type: Full-time
- procurement: 5 years (Required)
- manufacturing or consumer packaged goods: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Los Angeles, CA (Required)