- Position Definition & Summary:
Provides safety and security to the facility through proper youth supervision. Ensures that the facility behavior management system is enforced in a consistent and fair manner. Participate as a member of the facility treatment team, assisting youth with meeting performance goals. Completes observation checks and provides role model behavior to assist youth with problem solving and competency development. Must make every attempt to minimize adverse affects of confinement by supporting the juvenile’s physical, emotional, educational, and social development in an atmosphere which is as nonthreatening as possible. Is on call to respond to emergencies.
- Position Expectations and Essential Functions:
- Supervises and/or participates in various recreation programs and activities with juvenile residents to stimulate interest in and cooperation with various social and education programs.
- Teaches, supervises and/or participates in various daily living activities with juvenile residents to stimulate interest in and train skills needed for independent living.
- Provides advice to individual juvenile residents on personal problems they encounter while in the facility such as peer pressure, adapting to the surroundings, and so forth by presenting a positive role model and using common sense to relieve tension and prevent additional problems.
- Keeps continual track of the number of juvenile residents under direct supervision through periodic head counts and reports all movements of juvenile residents in areas both inside and outside the facility, to master control, aware at all times of the whereabouts of juvenile residents.
- Uses understanding to calm disruptive residents in a potentially dangerous situation and may physically restrain residents to prevent endangering the health and safety of the resident and others.
- Constantly observes unusual physical appearance or behavior of juvenile residents throughout the facility to uncover violations of rules and protect the health, security, safety, and welfare of the juvenile residents.
- Detects unusual odors such as marijuana, cigarette smoke, fires, or alcohol to uncover violations, and protects the security, safety, and welfare of the juvenile residents.
- Listens for unusual sounds such as a sudden change in noise level, calls for help, cries of fire, arguments among juvenile residents, scraping of metal, and so forth to maintain the security, safety, and welfare of the juvenile residents, and to react in accord with established policies, regulations, and procedures in crisis situations.
- Learns the names and recognizes juvenile residents under immediate charge and maintains a constructive personal relationship with the juvenile residents to control their general conduct and behavior and to identify the problem residents so that these persons can be closely watched.
- Patrols various locations within the facility for the purpose of checking safety and security hazards such as fire, smoke, broken pipes, unlocked doors, and tampered windows and locks to protect the security and safety of the inmates and the facility.
- Searches juveniles clothing and possessions, and makes periodic room checks to detect contraband in accord with established policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Participates in escape apprehension activities.
- Participates in emergency response activities.
- Supervises, performs, and instructs juvenile residents in housekeeping duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, making beds, and so forth to maintain sanitary conditions in resident areas.
- Ensures that all residents are washed and properly dressed by observing them, and thus maintains personal hygiene of the residents.
- Remains alert to possible security problems such as the planning of escapes and so forth, and reports such information in accord with established policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Writes comprehensive, factual, incident reports and/or fills out short forms such as head counts and safety reports to give routine and detailed information.
- Perform related tasks as required to include operation of the facility’s central control center.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Position Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent and successful completion of a required training program.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in the state where the work site is located only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain positive professional working relationship with co-workers and juveniles.
Job Type: Full-time
- previously: 1 year
- High school
- Orlando, FL